Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Sleep Apnea

It was a long sleepless night last night. Noah was on the monitor at home and we were awoken by the alarm going off many times during the night. His oxygen levels would go down to the low 80's, sometimes even 70's a few times in a row, his heart rate would go up, and then he would stabilize for about 45 minutes or so. Then the cycle would start all over again throughout the night. So this morning I brought the monitor back in so the doctors could go over the data. There was no doubt about it (his tracing was a textbook case), Noah has severe obstructive sleep apnea. What this means is that as he sleeps, something is obstructing his airway (likely the back of his tongue). His blood gas that was taken yesterday at his appointment also showed an increase in CO2 levels in his blood. The respirologist said that if this continued to go untreated, Noah would go into heart failure, as it is putting alot of strain on his heart each night. So he will now have to be on oxygen by nasal prongs while sleeping. We are just waiting for home care to come in and set it up for us.
While the oxygen should help, it will not be enough, so the respirologist will discuss the findings with our plastic surgeon and ENT to see what type of surgical intervention they would recommend. Likely it will mean that he will need the mandibular extraction (lower jaw) surgery in the very near future. This will have to be done before we can think about doing the palate repair, as obviously that will obstruct his airway even more.
I am relieved that this problem is finally being addressed and that we will have suction and oxygen in place. Guess it's the nurse in me that feels much more secure with these things around! And the good news is that we won't have to go into hospital overnight to do a sleep study as these results were very clear. It's disappointing to hear that another surgery is needed though. I just pray that Noah's little body will be able to handle another huge strain!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow - that sounds so scary. I'm glad you feel so comfortable with all of those instruments and procedures, I think it would freak a regular mom out. We'll be praying for you guys.

The Keowns said...

that does sound scary. Glad to hear you guys figured it out though. I agree with what Jamie said. I think all that stuff would freak a regular mom out. neat the way God works though. we are praying for him always.

Anonymous said...

we are praying for all of you. God always tells us that He will give us the strength for all things. We see Him at work in your lives, and pray He will continue to walk with all of you. We love you guys mom

Trying to Love, Laugh & Live said...

My name is Heidi... I somehow stumbled onto your blog from a string of blogs I have been reading and praying for. I felt like I really wanted to tell you how much of an encouragement you have been to me.

You are a living testimony to God's love and grace. You never waiver in your faith and trust in God. Thank you for being an example to us all... even those you have never met.

I am praying, and I will continue to pray, for you, Noah and your entire family. I am so glad that you are taking each moment with Noah and seeing the beauty in God's creation! Your lives bring much joy to God!