Tuesday, November 13, 2007

No Fever!

We've made it 24 hours now with no fever spikes, and Noah's latest blood cultures are still negative! All good news! However, Noah seems to have picked up something new here. Lots of coughing and wheezing today, and needing ventolin masks every couple of hours. The chest xray from today didn't show any new change from his last one, so likely a virus. Between that and the hours on the Ampho (which today gave him a crazy rash), he doesn't get much happy time. He did make it to music time on the ward though, which is always a highlight for him!

The bone scan results are back, and it looks like osteomyelitis again. The infection has seeded in 2 places: one of Noah's lower ribs, and his T10 vertebrae. This doesn't really change to much as far as treatment, except perhaps how long ID decides we need to treat for. Noah's platelets have draopped again today and he's been having nosebleeds. His hemoglobin is also back on its way down. But for now, we are still holding off on more transfusions. Hopefully his body with begin to rebuild once this Ampho really starts taking effect. His kidneys are looking ok, and we are doing what we can do with extra fluids and sodium to protect them. ID is still quite concerned with the combination of drugs he is on, but they are undecided about how many more days of Ampho B we will do.

We've also come up with a new plan regarding Noah's line care. He now has his own protocol written up in his chart. No more alcohol swabs, but rather chlorhexidine on his line. An each time his line is accessed at all, the nurses have to glove, gown and mask, and use sterile technique. It may seem a bit extreme and it makes a whole lot more work, but we are hoping to prevent any new hospital bugs from making their home in Noah's line.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all sounds really complicated to me, but good to hear he hasn't had a fever for awhile. we are praying....love mom

Leanne said...

You must be so exhausted. Praying for strength.

Kirsten said...

Hi. I am friends with Jamie, and I think of your family often, and so I check to see how you are doing. Words feel insufficient for the daily trials you walk through.

I am a pediatric nurse, and maybe that is why I think of you often. Praying the chlorhexidine makes a difference. We switched over all our alcohol swabs to chlorhexidine swabs last year.

I just want to write a verse that I have been coming to frequently over the last days and months from Lamentations 3

Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.

Praying for new mercies for your family this morning.

Jamie said...

I'm glad to hear they'll be taking such precautions with Noah's line. I hope it will make a difference. We're thinking of you guys all the time. Keep letting us know how we can pray for you.

The Keowns said...

i agree with mom, it all sounds complicated!
glad to hear he no longer has a fever, always praying